THE STRAW VOTE

The overwhelming Republican sentiment shown by the University last spring is no longer so overwhelming though still substantial, and this in spite of the fact that the Democrats staged it brilliant last-minute rally with the appearance of Governor Cox at the Union. Senator Harding is favored for President by the University by a majority over Cox. The closeness of this vote as compared with that of last spring, coupled with the enthusiastic reports from Democratic circles that the Republican "peak" has been reached, should emphasize the fact that the Republican camp cannot afford to let their efforts flag.

Such a vote as yesterday's is only an indication of public opinion. This can shows that most Harvard men trust the league issue with Senator Harding, and that they refuse to endorse a man who endorses Wilsonism. It also shows that in the long run public opinion is foolproof and cannot be changed overnight by any campaign methods, especially those that make use of ridicule and bitterness at the expense of finding out what people want. The Republicans here can boom the final weeks of the political campaign with the knowledge that most Harvard men are back of them.