THE K. OF C. GIFT

It is earnestly hoped that the American Legion will see fit to refuse the gift of $5,000,000 offered by the K. of C. to erect a national memorial building in Washington. The money was originally contributed during the war for the "aid and relief of our soldiers." Gifts made during the war were largely from hard earned savings; the people would hardly have given these for the construction of a "great marble palace at Washington."

There are still plenty of means for devoting this money to its original purpose. It is more fitting that aid should be given to the disabled who are living, than that a shrine should be built for the dead. The United States is far behind England in her care for the wounded and disabled. There cannot be too much done to aid our wounded men to learn a vocation. If all the money cannot be used here, there are crying needs in Europe to help suffering peoples. If the American people could only see and feel the misery that exists in Europe as Europe sees it, there would be no thought of shrines till the living are cared for.