BROWN ELEVEN INVADES STADIUM WITH ONLY DEFEAT OF SEASON THAT BY ELIS

HUMPHREY AND GRATWICK TO TAKE HALFBACK POSITIONS

The University will send a team composed almost entirely of substitutes against the Brown eleven this afternoon at 2 o'clock. The only two regulars in the line-up are Gaston at right end and Sedgwick at left tackle. It is evident that Coach Fisher is taking advantage of every opportunity to get these two men back into shape before the Yale game. Although the substitute eleven is apt to be hard pressed by the strong Brown team, the experience will be valuable, and should these men be called upon to face Yale next Saturday, they will be able to fill the shoes of the first string men capably.

Brown, as a result of its fine showing last Saturday which almost caused the defeat of the Elis, hopes to repeat its performance of 1916 in which it beat the University team 21 to 0. However, in 1916, Brown had a remarkable eleven composed of several All-American men and succeeded in defeating all of its opponents except Colgate.

Bruins Beaten Only by Yale

Although it has not had such success this season, the Brown eleven has defeated all of its opponents except Yale and has had only three touchdowns scored against it--two by the Elis and one by Maine.

Word comes from Brown, however, that the team will be even stronger than when it faced Yale as Spates and Shupert, two star backfield men who have been on the sick-list for two weeks, and Fox, who starred last year at quarterback against the University but who has just returned to the college, will be available to send against the University substitutes. In scrimmage last week Fox starred. Thursday in a practice game between teams "A" and "B." he made a wonderful exhibition of broken field running by taking the ball 90 yards for a touchdown. However, his lack of practice will probably keep him from starting at quarter. Much is expected of the ends, Williams and Albright, whose work throughout the year has been of the highest calibre and their speed and ability to catch forward passes has been largely responsible for Brown's success with the aerial game. It is expected that end runs and open plays will make up the greater part of the Brown offense.

Classes at Brown will stop at 10 o'clock this morning and the entire student body is expected to witness the struggle in the Stadium. The celebration committee has arranged to secure a live brown bear to act as mascot and will keep it near the cheering section.