Communications

In Defence of the 1921 Nominating Committee

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

"Battery A" is reorganizing. In the old days it used to be the "Harvard Battery"; it is now endeavoring to regain this position, and invites Harvard men to join its ranks. As a part of the 101st F. A. Batery A was the first National Guard battery to land in France. Its service at the front extended form February to November, 1918. It is now part of the 101st F. A. Massachusetts National Guard.

The war proved "A" to be a veritable officers training school. By June, 1917, 144 former "A" men already had received commissions, and nearly 100 were then at Plattsburg. Many of these men have testified to the value and enjoyment of their enlisted service.

Battery A now offers a splendid practical course in Field Artillery, including equitation, ballistics, gun and foot drill and special detail work. The active work will start in October. Whenever weather permits, there will be tacticalrides, weekend turnouts and outdoor drills.

By enlisting men in groups, it is possible to have a very congenial crowd at drills and camps, and thus rebuild the excellent "esprit de corps" that existed before the war. A lot of fellows enlisting together may bring some more friends in; then they go to and from the Armory together and enjoy the weekly drills much more. That was the situation before the war--a congenial crowd who enjoyed the work. There will be courses in the technique of artillery, special detail work and such advanced work as any men may desire.

This is a fine chance for fellows who do not want to plug through several years of Military Science courses. The practical essentials of Field Artillery are offered, with the associations and activities of a Boston battery whose history goes back beyond the Civil War.

There will be officers at the Commonwealth Armory (near Cottage Farm Bridge) on Thursday evening at 7.30. FELAX W. KNAUTH '18.