FAMOUS FRENCH ART CRITIC TO LECTURE HERE

IS DIRECTOR OF LUXEMBOURG

At 4.30 o'clock on the afternoons of December 16, 17, and 20, Mr. H. Leonce Benedite, Director of the "Musee du Luxembourg," and of the "Musee Rodin" of Paris will give three lectures in the Lecture Room of the Fogg Art Museum on the following subjects: Thursday, "Rodin"; Friday, "Purvis de Chavannes", and Monday, "J. F. Millet". All of these lectures will be open to the public.

M. Benedite who arrived in New York in the latter part of October, is of international prominence in the world of art. In the United States he is particularly known for his lecture tour of 1907. Besides lecturing in the United States, M. Benedite has had charge of a number of missions and lecture tours in many foreign countries. He has also represented France in the capacity of general commissioner at the International Expositions of Venice, Bale, Strassbourg and Stuttgart.

Became Curator of Luxembourg

In 1882, he entered in the administration of National Museums as an assistant to the curator of the "Musee de Versailles." In 1886, he was called to the "Luxembourg" by Etienne Arogo, whom he replaced as curator when the latter died in 1892.

The Musee du Luxembourg has prospered under his direction. It is to M. Benedite that France owes the interesting creation, in this museum of a foreign-art section, which today comprises more than 300 canvasses, and among which Americans are represented by sixty paintings and about ten sculptures. M. Benedite has been intimately connected with many great American masters, among whom were Whistler, Saint-Gandens, and John La Farge. Just before his death, Whistler designated M. Benedite to organize his posthumous exposition.

President of Many Art Societies

A great number of art societies have honored him by electing him their president. Besides this he is an associate member of the "Academie Royale des Sciences, Arts et Belles-Lettres" of Belgium. The University of Pennsylvania has conferred the degree of Doctor on him, and the French Government has made him an Officer of the Legion of Honor.

In administrating the "Musee du Luxembourg" and the "Musee Rodin", M. Benedite has made a great reputation as a historian and critic of art. He has written a great many works for the principal art and literary reviews, and also several important books on art and contempory artists.