"GREATER IRELAND"

Irish propagandists and interfering sympathizers have so long--carried on their operations in America that it would appear as if, after all, the term "Greater Ireland" were justly applicable to this country. Both the American and British governments have so far been surprisingly tolerant towards those groups of persons who have yet to learn that there is a great difference between friendly sympathy and organized campaigning. But that patience is slowly but surely becoming exhausted; neither the British nor the Americans can be expected to remain passive much longer.

There are two cases in point. The first concerns the actions of De Valera, the second the attitude of the self-appointed investigating "Committee of One Hundred." When the so-ca led President of the "Republic of Ireland' first came to America it was with the announced intention of doing no more than attempting to enlist the friendship and support of Irish sympathizers in this country, and to formulate a public opinion which would be favorable to Irish freedom. Such a course, although reprehensible, could not legally be checked by the government so long as De Valera conducted himself in an orderly manner.

But now it appears that, not content with so passive a campaign, the "President" has encouraged and even secretly inaugurated, societies that are avowedly and actively hostile to the British government. The extend to which these followers of the Sinn Fein have been wrought up was undeniably demonstrated by the Union Club incident in New York--an incident constituting a direct insult to Great Britain and American citizens as well. When De Valera's activities, or those of his immediate adjutants, induce such proceedings, it is time that those--activities should be stopped.

The second case is the "Committee of One Hundred" which has been formed in order to investigate conditions in Ireland. Aside from the fact that many reputable Americans who were invited to serve on the Committee declined to do so, thus leaving a personnel composed almost entirely of avowed Irish sympathizers, there is the manifest impossibility of any fair "investigation" by such a Committee. The Irish side they can, and are, hearing; but what of the other? The other is the British government, which manifestly will not present its evidence before a self-appointed, unofficial body of hostile investigators from a country which is not concerned in the matter at all. Yet the mock court of justice goes on, and every day sends out reports injurious not only to England, but also to American common sense.

The British government, as represented by Bonar Law, realizes that most Americans will take a "reasonable view" of all such propaganda. But the British government is becoming justifiably restless under the continued succession of insults and hostility from this side of the Atlantic. Nor will American, "reasonableness" sit idly by much longer. Those who would make of this country a "Greater Ireland" would do well to observe the signs of the times.