When In Doubt Give A Book

AT REDUCED PRICES

AGASSIZ, ALEXANDER. Recollections and Letters with a Sketch of His Life and Work. Edited by G. R. Agassiz.

"Anyone who attempts to present a faithful impression of Alexander Agassiz's life is confronted with unusual difficulties, for his versatile and restless energy covered a very extraordinarily wide field and his personality was so large that we are hampered in our view of him by our own limitations. The morphologist considers his earlier work more important; the geologist, that his reputation rests chiefly on his extensive investigations of coral reefs; the zoologist remembers his vast collection of marine life, gathered in a dozen extended voyages widely scattered over the surface of the globe, and to still others, he appears as one of the greatest benefactors of the oldest university in America; while those who delve among ancient civilizations and primitive races might well be surprised at the extent of his poaching in their preserves." The author was assisted in compiling this splendid work by Professor Barrett Wendell, Mr. Samuel Henshaw, Sir John Murray and Mr. Q. A. Shaw. With portraits and other illustrations. Cloth. 8vo. Houghton, Mifflin Co. Published at $5.00  Special Price $2.50

HIGGINSON, THOMAS WENTWORTH. The Story of His Life. By Mary Thacher Higginson.

This intimate biography gives, for the first time, a full account of the life of one of the most interesting of American soldiers and writers. In youth a romantic poet, Mr. Higginson became in early life a Unitarian clergyman of power and effectiveness. Later, in command of the first colored regiment raised for service in the Civil War, he had some military experience of exceptional interest. In later life, as a many-sided man of letters, his relations with writers in both England and America were extraordinarily close and varied. Few Americans of the nineteenth century touched American life at more points than Colonel Higginson. With portrait and other illustrations. Cloth. 8vo.   Published at $4.00. Houghton, Mifflin Co.   Special Price, $2.00

FISKE, JOHN. The Life of John Fiske. By John Spencer Clark.

One of the most notable literary biographies of recent years. This biography of one of America's foremost historians tells, largely in Fiske's own words, of his boyhood and youth, his early championship of the "cosmic philosophy," his intimate association with such leaders of thought as Herbert Spencer, Thomas Huxley and Charles Darwin and his services as an historian and man of letters. The biographer, a life-long friend and associate of Fiske, has written with unusual intimacy and understanding and by his extensive use of Fiske's own lively letters and journals, gives a peculiarly vivid picture, both of Fiske himself, and of the many famous men with whom he was intimate. Fully illustrated. 2 vols. 8vo. Cloth. Published at $8.00. Houghton, Miffin Co.  Special Price, $4.00