"THE DRAGON"

"First time in America"--reads the Dramatic Club's announcement of its presentation this evening of Lady Gregory's "The Dragon." The policy of introducing new plays has proved an unqualified success. Too often college dramatic societies are thought of as producers of hilarious "girl and music" shows, in which closely shaven youths in feminine habiliments trip lightly over the stage after the recognized manner of chorus girls. The University's reputation in this line is in no way impaired by the existence of organizations that recognize the serious side of the drama. If the 47 Workshop is the outlet for the budding playwright, the Dramatic Club, in a different way, endeavors to achieve the same end for the amateur actor--and actress.

In addition it attains a recognized standing in the theatrical world by choosing its productions altogether from plays unknown on this side of the Atlantic. Some may criticize the club for proceeding along these untried lines; still there is a certain newness and charm in these plays which quite outweighs the audience's lack of familiarity. "The Dragon' should be especially happy in this respect, for Lady Gregory writes with the delicacy of Barrie and the humor of Dickens.

Those who saw the elaborate and highly amusing "Governor's Wife" last spring will affirm that the Dramatic Club has only to live up to its past reputation to make the "Dragon's" first appearance a notable one.