AMHERST EASILY DEFEATS CRIMSON TANK MEN 38-15

A. H. Brackett Stars for University Track Meet at Boston Y.M.C.A. Pool Yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon the University swimming team took its first defeat of the season from the Amherst mermen in the Boston Y.M.C.A. tank, scoring but 15 points to Amherst's 38. The loss of L. B. Davis '20, because of sickness, placed the University at a disadvantage in that he was counted on to win the plunge. The relay race was unusually thrilling, since the Amherst swimmers managed to nose out the University racers by a scant half-foot. A. H. Brackett '22 starred for the University, taking first place in the 100-yard dash and second in the 50-yard.

Damon proved to be Amherst's fastest man, while Captain Cowles also was an important point-winner for the Purple and White. That Amherst has a strong team was early shown by their defeat of Syracuse 41-12. Earlier in the season Damon broke the intercollegiate record of 25 seconds for the 50-yard dash.

The meet with M.I.T., which was scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed to Monday, February 23, and will take place at 5 o'clock in the Boston Y.M.C.A. pool.

The summary of the meet yesterday follows:

50-yard dash--Won by Damon (Amherst); Cowles (Amherst), second; A. H. Brackett '22, third. Time, 25 4-5s.

100-yard dash--Won by A. H. Brackett '22; Damon (Amherst), second; Whitcomb (Amherst), third. Time, 1m. 2s.

220-yard dash--Won by Cowles (Amherst); Spear (Amherst), second; A. M. Stoddard '21, third. Time, 2m. 57s. Plunge--Won by P. K. Thomas '22; Soule (Amherst), second; Wood (Amherst), third. Distance, 59 1-2ft.

Dive--Won by Brough (Amherst); A. Levy '21, second; Ever (Amherst), third.

Relay race--Won by Amherst (Wood, Whitcomb, Cowles, Damon), against Harvard (A. H. Brackett '22, G. S. Worcester '22, E. C. Mott-Smith '22, G. Tilton '20)