MANUSCRIPT OF GETTYSBURG ADDRESS WILL RESIDE HERE

Historic Document is the Property of Senator H. W. Keyes '87.

Lincoln's Gettysburg address, in the handwriting of Lincoln himself, will reside in the library of the University. Senator Henry W. Keyes '87 announced the fact in the Senate on Lincoln's Birthday after he had read the document. Lincoln wrote the manuscript out from his notes shortly after his return from Gettysburg. This was at the request of Edward Everett, of the class of 1811, who had expressed to Lincoln his admiration of the speech. The document is bound handsomely into one volume with a copy of Everett's address at the National Cemetery in 1863 and a letter by Robert Lincoln '64, son of the President, attesting to the authenticity of the Gettysburg address manuscript. This letter was incorporated into the volume in 1885.

The manner in which the address became a cherished heirloom in the Keyes family was explained to the Senate. The two addresses, in their bound form, were presented by Mr. Everett to Mrs. Hamilton Fish, in recognition of her services as president of a war relief organization during the Civil War. The volume was put up at auction in aid of war relief funds and was purchased by Carlos Peirce, an uncle of Senator Keyes. At the death of Mr. Peirce, the volume descended to Senator Keyes's mother. The valuable work is now in the possession of the Senator himself.