NOTRE DAME CANCELS 1920 FOOTBALL DATE

NEW OPPONENT NOT NAMED

On account of complications which have arisen in its schedule, Notre Dame has requested to be released from the agreement for a football game with the University on Soldiers Field on October 9, and the Athletic Association has granted their request, according to an announcement made yesterday by Fred W. Moore '93, Graduate Treasurer of the Athletic Association.

This sudden cancellation of a game so late in the year will give the management of the football team considerable difficulty in finding another strong team to fill the open date, and it is probable that an Eastern team will have to be substituted. Most of the other first-rate Western teams with whom the University football team would be likely to schedule a game belong to the "Big Nine" Conference, and by agreement among themselves none of these teams will be able to meet an Eastern eleven.

No possibility has been announced by the Athletic Association thus far, and no steps have been taken yet to substitute another team. It is not unlikely, however, that the football management will be able to fill the date with one of the elevens played last season, which was not put on the 1920 schedule.

The position of the Athletic Association now is similar to that in 1916, when West Point was forced to cancel its arrangements for a game on the schedule for that season, and did not do so until late in the year. West Point, in that case, was forced to withdraw on account of objections from the War Department, but Notre Dame has given no more definite reason than that complications have developed in its schedule