ANNOUNCE RULES FOR BOXING CARNIVAL AT BRATTLE HALL

Require Physical Examination Before Eliminating Rounds.

The rules which will govern the annual University Boxing Carnival to be held at Brattle Hall on March 25 were announced yesterday by the H.A.A. Entries for the tournament must be handed in at the H.A.A. by March 13, and the preliminary bouts will be held at Hemenway Gymnasium between that date and the day of the Carnival.

According to these rules, which are a modification of those adopted by the War Commission on Training Camp Activities, all men must pass a physical examination before entering the elimination bouts. Each contest will have four rounds of two minutes each, with an intermission of one minute between rounds for rest.

Decisions will be announced by the judges, based on the allotment of twenty points for each round, fourteen points for attack and defense, four points for generalship, and two points for aggressiveness. Points will be deducted for stalling and for all infractions of the rules. Fouls shall consist in hitting below the belt and for other unfair means of gaining an advantage over an opponent. The judges are recommended to immediately disqualify a contestant who is guilty of such a foul.

Undergraduates Only as Seconds.

Besides the rules which will be used as adapted from the War Commission it is further stipulated that only undergraduates will be allowed to act as seconds. This regulation is made in order to prevent professional coaches having a hand in the tournament. Larry Conley, the University boxing instructor, has been appointed referee, while Dr. Paul Withington '09, "Pooch" Donovan and Mr. Kelly of the Department of Physical Training will act as judges. Mr. Geer, Director of Physical Training, will be time-keeper.

The classes in which bouts will be held are as follows: Bantam-weight, 115 pounds; featherweight, 125 pounds; light-weight, 135 pounds; welterweight, 145 pounds; middle-weight, 160 pounds; light-heavyweight, 175 pounds; heavy-weight, 175 pounds or over. No variations of these weights will be permitted this year.