CONFIRM NEW APPOINTMENTS

BOARD OF OVERSEERS SANCTIONS PROMOTION OF SEVERAL PROFESSORS.

The Board of Overseers of Harvard University yesterday confirmed a number of important appointments of professors, including that of Arthur Becket Lamb, Gr. '03, as professor of chemistry.

Professor Lamb, who has been connected with the Chemistry Department of the University at intervals since 1905, and has been an assistant professor since 1912, is one of a group of Harvard chemists who rendered valuable service to the government during the war. He was a lieutenant-colonel in the Chemical Warfare Service, and as the chief of the Defense Section of its Research Division he directed the development of chemical absorbents to be used in gas masks, a task of immense importance and difficulty. Under his immediate direction were also developed a salve to be used on the body as a protection against mustard gas, and a gas mask which could be used in submarines to protect men against carbon monoxide gas. Since last June he has been in charge of the research work of the nitrates division of the Ordnance Department, and in this position has been studying the task of putting the large nitrogen fixation plants in this country in such permanent shape that they can be used in times of peace and will be ready to turn out an adequate supply of nitric acid in case of another war.

Arthur N. Holcombe Made Professor.

The Board of Overseers approved the promotion of Arthur N. Holcombe '06 from assistant professor of government to professor. Professor Holcombe has been on the teaching staff at Harvard at intervals since 1906. During the was he served with the Bureau of Efficiency at Washington. Later he was a member of the Committee on Standardization of Telephone Rates, and was associated with the Wire Control Board at Washington until the telephones were returned to private management: He is the author of books on the public ownership of telephones in Europe and on state government in the United States.

Harry R. Tosdal, recently head of the Department of Marketing and Foreign Trade at Boston University, is to be an assistant professor of Marketing at the Harvard Graduate School of Business. Administration, and will also serve as director of Student Research. He has been from time to time lecturer on Economics at the University and an instructor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

The Overseers also approved the appointment of Dr. Henry Maurice Sheffer '05 of the Philosophy Department as a members of the Faculty and lecturer in Philosophy for three years, beginning next September.