The French Railway Strike.

COMMENT

Characterization of the French railway strike as revolutionary is more than a political catchword. The strike was in fact begun by a group of avowed revolutionary syndicalists, and was opposed at first by the reformist leaders of the French trade unions. The demand for "nationalization," which has come steadily to the front through the earlier negotiations and the strike itself is, as French labor understands the word nationalization, a demand for democratization of the management of the roads. The demand is most loudly voiced on the lines already owned by the state. Before the war the Federation of Railway Workers, 100,000 strong, was one of the most conservative of French trade unions, and its present officers date from that period; but since the armistice its membership has grown to 275,000, and the rank and file, especially on the "P.L.M." (Paris Lyons, and Mediterranean) and the State lines, is very radical. A strong opposition has grown up to M. Bidegarry, the secretary, who is charged with responsibility for the failure in France of the international general strike planned for July 21 last, and in general with a too conciliatory policy and it is this radical opposition--the same group which, in November, attempted a railway strike in protest against the transport of munitions from France to Denikin's armies--which inaugurated the present strike