WRESTLERS PLACE SECOND IN NEW ENGLAND TOURNEY

Springfield Leads University Grapplers by Margin of One Point in Meet Saturday

By the narrow margin of one point, the University wrestling team lost the New England Intercollegiate wrestling championship to Springfield College Saturday by the score of 22-21. The Crimson matmen placed in the finals of every class except the 175-lb. class, in which weight the University representative was in the semi-finals. Brown and M. I. T. were tied for third place in the meet with 9 points each, while Dartmouth failed to score at all.

The surprise of the tournament came when J. Israelite '20, defeated Butler of Technology, former New England amateur champion in the 145 lb. class, on a decision, after nine minutes of spectacular wrestling. Captain B. B. Corson, Occ., won the championship in the 125-lb. class, by defeating Crandall of Brown on a decision, in the finals, while C. P. Smith '21, University 135-pounder likewise succeeded in clinching the championship in his class by downing McGrady, of M. I. T., by a decision. The match was not decided until the last bout of the evening, when A. M. Kinney '20, lost to Mooney, the Springfield heavyweight, on a fall.

At the end of the bouts Friday evening, Springfield was leading with 5 points, M. I. T. was second with 4 and the University team third with three points to its credit.