DEBATE WITH WEST ON MAY 21

FREE SPEECH QUESTION WILL BE DISCUSSED AT MEETING IN BOSTON.

May 21 has been announced by the Debating Council as the tentative date for the East vs. West debate with the University of Washington team. Boston has been almost definitely decided upon as the place for staging this debate which will probably be held in either Symphony Hall or the Harvard Club of Boston.

Preliminary try-outs for the selection of men to make up the University team will be held in Harvard 5 next Monday afternoon at 4.30 o'clock. The judges at that time will be Professor H. B. Huntington '97, now of Brown University, who has consented to act as coach, and two others, members of the University Faculty. All members of the University are eligible to compete at Monday's trials. Every man who reports at that time should prepare before hand a speech, five minutes in length, on Free Speech, the subject used in the triangular debate. The wording of the question follows: "Resolved, That Congress should pass such legislation as will suppress all propaganda leading to the overthrow of the United States government--constitutionality granted." Nine men will be chosen from those entering the preliminaries. Three will speak in the debate against the western University, and from the other six will be formed a second team to debate some eastern college on the same question.

Final trials for the Freshman debating team will be held in Harvard 5 this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Compulsory arbitration of labor disputes in essential industries will be the general subject as proposed by the University for the annual triangular debate with the Yale and Princeton freshman teams.