REQUIESCAT.

Well do we remember the commotion aroused in the University, less than a year ago, by the birth of a new literary light with a gospel of reform to unfold. Parodies of red, gray, and yellow joined the white-covered original in ornamenting the coat pockets of undergraduates for days, and the stands on the Square did a thriving trade.

If the entrance of the Harvard Magazine into University life was the occasion for excited comment, it must be granted that its passing is a peaceful one. A permanent place in undergraduate affairs could only have been attained by it had the Advocate continued its war-time decline. But that was not to be. With the opening of the new College year Mother Advocate set her house in order and established herself more firmly than ever in our midst while the sudden splash of the Magazine's entrance into Harvard's literary pond was forgotten as its more conservative ripples appeared and quietly faded away.

The fact is that the University seems able to support but one magazine of serious literature. If the existing one falls short a competition is needed to stir it from its lethargy or to replace it. Once more Mother Advocate has tasted the elixir of youth and her opponent has followed the Monthly into oblivion.