BARLEYCORN'S COMEBACK

When knockout drops in the form of the Volstead Act for enforcement of the Eighteenth Amendment were served up to John Barleycorn last January, the Anti Saloon League thought he had passed out forever form American life. Temporarily he had, but the combination of wood alcohol and the W. C. T. U.'s "Tobacco Next" campaign showed that, like Mark Twain, his obituary notice was "greatly exaggerated."

Today, when every morning's paper brings news of towns that have been dry for generations landsliding into the wet column; when 2.75 per cent, and 3.50 per cent beers are being upheld by local courts throughout the country; When the workings of the Anti-Saloon League are being investigated by the New York Assembly, we find Mr. Barleycorn exhibiting the same old kick that made him famous.

Governot Edwards of New Jersey has been the first politician to see turning of the tide and it's not inconceivable that he will ride to the White House on the hearse that carries Barleycorn back from his grave. John, at any rate, is showing a terrific comeback.