IMPORTANT CHANGES MADE IN RHODES SCHOLARSHIP RULES

PETITIONS DUE JULY 15

Important changes have been announced in the dates and conditions of filing applications for Rhodes Scholarships at Oxford University in 1920. All petitions of University students must be sent to President Lowell before July 15, for scholarships from this or any other state which the applicant may choose. Harvard may not be represented by more than four candidates from any one state. If the petition to President Lowell is successful, the completed application form must be filed not later than August 14 with the secretary of the Committee of Selection of the state in which the candidate wishes to compete.

The final selections will be made on or about September 25. In many cases the quality of distinction in one or more fields of study has fully as much bearing in the selection of successful candidates as does general excellence in a wide range of subjects.

Qualifying Examinations Abolished.

The qualifying examinations formerly required of all candidates have been abolished, consequently any graduate of the University with a satisfactory record may secure "Senior Standing" at Oxford and exemptions from all examinations prior to the Final Honor Schools. It is exceedingly important that all Harvard men of high standing, who intend to study at Oxford, take careful note of these changes and file their applications correctly, for at present so many Americans are trying to enter Oxford that it is difficult to gain admittance except through the Rhodes Scholarships.

Conditions of Eligibility.

For the benefit of candidates for the Rhodes Scholarship the CRIMSON publishes the following eligibility conditions:

"The applicant must be an unmarried citizen of the United States with at least five years' domicile.

"By October 1 of the year for which he is elected, he must have passed his 19th but not his 25th birthday.

By October 1 of the year for which he is selected, he must have completed at least his Sophomore year in some college or university of recognized standing.

"The candidate must apply either for the state in which he ordinarily has his private domicile or for any state in which he has received at least two years of his college education before application."

"In the first instance, he must be selected by his own college before filing his application with the secretary of the State Committee."

Information about Oxford and the scholarships may be found in the Oxford University handbook and in the American Oxonian, a quarterly magazine published at Concord, N. H., the April number of which will be entirely devoted to information for prospective Rhodes scholars. Further details may be had from Professor Frank Aydelotte, of M. I. T., or Professor R. K. Hack, 39 Kirkland street.