Exhibit Byron and Coleridge Items

In the Memorial Room of the Widener Library there is now on exhibition a notable collection, formerly owned by Mr. Widener, of first editions, manuscripts, and letters of the British romantic poets, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Lord Byron. Two very rare and much sought after books in the show-cases are Coleridge's "The Watchman" and "The Friend," little magazines which are interesting to compare with our modern journals. A first edition of the "State man's Manual," with numerous corrections and notes in Coleridge's autograph, is one of the prizes of the collection. Beside these rare editions are various manuscripts, a number of portraits, and letters.

In the Byron collection are a first edition of "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage," with a lock of the poet's hair inserted between the leaves. Byron's famous satire, "English Bards and Scotch Reviewers," is an especially rare piece of his early work, as are also his "Hours of idleness" and "Hebrew Melodies." The exhibit is completed by a portrait, manuscripts, and letters.