MANY SCHOLARSHIPS AWARDED

PROF. POPE GRANTED LEAVE OF ABSENCE FOR STUDY IN EUROPE.

Arthur Pope '01, Professor of Fine Arts at the University, has been granted leave of absence for the year 1920-21 and has been awarded the Sachs Research Scholarship in Fine Arts, which was established in 1916 to enable scholars of proved ability to pursue in any part of the world advanced studies in the fine arts. Professor Pope will spend the year in Europe.

Thirty-two other fellowships and scholarships have been awarded by the Corporation, the winners being students in various departments of the University.

The following six men have been awarded Frederick Sheldon Prize Fellowships for travelling and study in Europe next year. The first four of them are being awarded the fellowship for the first time; the last two were awarded it in 1918 but could not accept it then on account of the war and, therefore, are taking it now: Arthur W. Marget 1G., of Roxbury; David V. Widder '20, of Harrisburg, Pa.; Miles Hanson '20, of Roxbury; Gerald R. Barrett '20, of Somerville; Harry J. Leon '18, of Worcester; Allen L. Whitman '18, of Cambridge.

Five men have been awarded scholarships on the recommendation of the Com- mittee on General Scholarships. These men are: Sidney D. Sherrerd, Princeton 1918, who will enter the Harvard Law School and has been awarded the Princeton Fellowship; Larned L. Smith, Grinnell 1920, who will enter the Graduate School in September and has been awarded the Charles Elliott Perkins Scholarship, which is given each year to a graduate of an Iowa college or university who wishes to study at Harvard; Albert M. Coates, University of North Carolina, 1918, who has been awarded the James A. Rumrill Scholarship and will enter the Law School; Phillips Bradley '16, of Lincoln, who has been awarded the Lincoln Scholarship; and Robert R. Cawley '15, of Belmont, who has been awarded a Daniel A. Buckley Scholarship.

The Appleton Travelling Fellowship goes to Lloyd M. Hendrick, Jr., of Cliftondale. Mr. Hendrick was awarded the fellowship in 1915, the year he won the degree of Master in Architecture but which was postponed on account of the war.

Undergraduate Awards.

Eight undergraduates in Harvard College have been awarded scholarships as follows: Crowninshield Scholarships, Frank W. Coyne '23, of Scranton, Pa., and Nicholas Depopolo '23, of Westfield; Thomas Hall Scholarship, divided between Richard P. Arms ocC., of Deerfield, and Robert F. Doolittle '23, of New York City; Mary L. Whitney Scholarships, Allan R. Freeman '23, of Cambridge, and Edward R. Chase '22, of Ware; Hennen Jennings Scholarships, George R. Tunell, Jr., '22, of Evanston, Ill., Kirkland Scholarship of the Class of 1815, Leland C. Barry '21, of Troy, N. Y