Communication

Collegiate Expenses.

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

There have been Harvard men who, because of natural affiliations, have given their lives in the great war. The names of Byng, Maxwell, Champollion and Starr are enrolled on higher Lists of Honor than those that gave the Croix de Guerre or the Victoria Cross.

There have been and are other Harvard men who have taken part in the war in one way or another and who have shown that which is finer than even loyalty to one's own nation--the understanding of the larger duty that every man has toward humanity.

Victor Chapman, who died fighting in the Foreign Legion, was one of the greatest of these.

Would it not be fitting to hold a service in commemoration of these men of the University, who laid all that they had upon the altar of honor? And would it not be both proper and just to give praise at the same time to the Harvard men who have served similarly, and who, though they are yet spared to this life, have striven and are striving for the same ideals of duty and courage?

It would be a sad thing and not to the credit of any of us if we allowed the sacrifice of our dead countrymen and comrades to go unremembered, and the efforts of the valued living to go unrewarded. ALFRED PUTNAM '18.