UNIVERSITY DEBATERS MEET WASHINGTON IN FIRST INTERCOAST SPEAKING CONTEST

INVADERS WESTERN CHAMPIONS

The first intercoastal debate in the history of this country will be held in Sanders Theatre tonight at 8 o'clock, when a picked three from the University of Washington will meet a team from the University. "Free Speech" will be the subject, which is worded as follows "Resolved: That Congress should suppress all propaganda advocating the overthrow of the United States government by force and violence, constitutionality granted."

The visiting team will uphold the affirmative of this proposition and the three University debaters will defend the negative. In this debate the University will be represented by B. H. Kuhns '22, Lawrence Dennis Occ., and W. S. Holbrook '21, all of whom were members of the University team this year. This is the first season that Kuhns has been on the team, but he has debated against Dartmouth, Syracuse and Princeton speaking particularly effectively in the last two. Dennis is a University veteran of two seasons, having been on the team in 1916, and also on the trio this year that met Dartmouth, Princeton and Bates. Three years mark Holbrook's stay on the team, and this year he has opposed Dartmouth, Syracuse and Yale.

The team of the University of Washington, consisting of Wendell Black, a member of the team for three years; Floyd Toomey, also a three-year man, and Earl Nelson, a two-letter man, was picked to meet Harvard after extensive trials, debating at the Western University being very popular and a major sport. In the contests this season Washington has secured 14 out of a possible 18 judges' votes, has won the Pacific Coast Triangular Championship from the University of Oregon and Stanford University, and has also clinched the title to the Pacific Coast Debate Championship by defeating the University of British Columbia.

Mayor Andrew J. Peters of Boston will be the presiding officer of the evening while the judges will be Ex-Governor Samuel W. McCall, Harvey Albers, dean of the Boston University Law School, and Henry K. Braley, Associate Justice of the Massachusetts Supreme Court.