1923 TENNIS TEAM WINS MATCH FROM ANDOVER MEN

Crosby Star for Blue Team; Duane and Knox for Freshmen; Score 5-3.

In a closely contested series of matches the untried Freshman tennis team defeated Andover Saturday on the Divinity Field courts by the score of 5 to 3. Although this was only the second game of the season for the yearlings, the first, played Friday with English High School proving an easy victory, the team as a whole showed remarkable early season form. In the doubles, especially, when the score of the match stood 3-2 and prospects were dark, the Crimson players saved the day by coming back and winning all three matches. For the Blue team Crosby was the outstanding star, winning from A. D. Knox, playing number 1, 6-3, 6-4, in one of the best matches of the afternoon. M. Duane was the mainstay of the yearlings, and by his succession of well-placed ground strokes and steady all-round play, and ably seconded in the doubles by A. D. Knox, wrested both of his matches from his opponents.

The summary of matches is as follows:

Singles.--Crosby (A.) defeated A. D. Knox (H.), 6-3, 6-4; M. Duane (H.) defeated White (A.), 6-1, 8-6; Sheridan (A.) defeated G. C. Guild (H.), 6-2, 4-6, 6-4; Comfort (A.) defeated R. W. Hoskins (H.), 6-2, 6-2; Grabau (H.) defeated Snow (A.), 6-3, 6-4.

Doubles.--Grabau and Hoskins (H.) defeated Comfort and White (A.), 3-6, 6-0, 6-3; Knox and Duane (H.) defeated Crosby and Haviland (A.), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4; Guild and Frost (H.) defeated Sheridan and Snow (A.), 6-2, 6-2. Total, 5-3.