INTERCLASS BASEBALL

The revival of interclass baseball is one more step in the policy of athletic development for all, rather than specialized training for a few. Following as it does upon the institution of a similar interclass series at Yale, a championship game between the winning teams of both colleges will be made possible. The advantage of interclass play over the Letter Cup team series which it supersedes in that organized interest, competition and class rivalry will take the place of the heterodox disorganized matches which resulted from the formation of teams that had no common bond, and the personnel of which was constantly changing even in mid-season. Added to this the coaching promised by more experienced players will lead to a better brand of individual and team play, while the proposed match with the New Haven winners will lend additional incentive to the series.

The object of the new interclass system is to afford everyone who is interested and who has not sufficient ability to make the University squad, a chance to play. The success of the series depend to a large degree upon the number and enthusiasm of participants. At present the three upper classes have falled to organize regular nines. If more men report for practice than are needed to make up the first teams, second nines also will be formed. The new system is a good off and many who otherwise would be but "bleacherites" will now become players. With proper support the serious should prove a success and become a permanent University institution.