LONG SCHEDULE ARRANGED FOR PIERIAN SODALITY

Series of Concerts is Planned in Nearby Cities Beside Longer Trips--Begin Early in Fall

The Pierian Sodality is arranging an unusually long and interesting schedule of concerts for the year 1920-21. The general plan of its activities are outlined below:

At the first of the season the Pierian has planned a series of local concerts in the near vicinity of Boston. From November till the end of the mid-year examination period, mid-week local concerts are planned, while during week-ends over night trips will be taken to New York, Worcester, Springfield and other cities. Independent concerts will be given throughout the season in Cambridge, while the final concert of the year will be given late in May at Symphony Hall in conjunction with the Harvard Glee Club.

Trials for the orchestra will be held on Monday evening, October 4th, 1920, in the Pierian Sodality room of the Music Building. All men who play orchestral instruments with reasonable ability and are interested in playing good music are asked to reserve this date. The Pierian is particularly fortunate in having for its conductor Mr. Ernst Hoffman '18. Mr. Hoffman is now a first violinist in the Boston Symphony Orchestra and is a conductor of marked ability. Mr. Hoffman was also concert master of the Pierian for two years and was its conductor two years ago. Besides the social side and the pleasure of the trips, playing in the orchestra will be of decided instructive worth to its members. It is chiefly from the orchestra that candidates for the Sodality are chosen.

Although in the past it has been the traditional policy to perform only the works of the great masters, the Pierian Sodality has in accordance with the modern demand for "pep" added to its program representative music of a lighter vein. The playing of symphonies will, of course, be continued; but at the same time music of the better musical-comedy style will be given.

Orchestra rehearsals will begin October 5, 1920, the evening after the trials, and will be held at least once a week, unless concerts replace rehearsals. All members of the University interested in playing orchestral music, both heavy and light, are cordially urged to present themselves with instruments at the trials October 4, 1920.