KEATS HOME WILL BE RESTORED

Harvard Professors on National Committee to Raise Funds

The purchase of the home of John Keats for its preservation is the aim of a committee consisting, among others, of President Lowell, Professors G. L. Kittredge and J. L. Lowes. The committee hopes to interest Harvard admirers of Keats in the project and will be grateful for all contributions, however small. Their statement follows:

"Wentworth Place, Hampstead, London, the house in which the poet, John Keats, lived during the years immediately preceding his death, is in danger of being torn down to make room for a row of flats. Should this be permitted to occur, it would be not only a national calamity for England, but an international calamity, as readers of Keats' poems in every country must feel.

"A National Committee has been formed to raise funds to buy the property, which is offered for $17,500. It is proposed to restore the house to its original form and equip it as a Keats Museum. It is then expected that Sir Charles Dilkes' valuable Keats collection will be placed in the house and form a nucleus of Keats material. For all these expenses and the subsequent upkeep of the Museum, the sum of $50,000 is considered sufficient.

"Owing to the burden of the war, it is extremely difficult to raise money in England, therefore America must help, and committees are being started in various American cities to secure funds. Will you not send your subscription at once (the option on the property is only secured for a few weeks) to Mr. William C. Endicott, 71 Ames Building, Boston, Mass."