PROSPECTS BRIGHT FOR 1921 BASEBALL SEASON

TEAM TO TRAIN IN ATLANTA

Coach J. J. Slattery of the University baseball team, in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday afternoon, expressed his confidence in the nine's prospects this year, declaring that with the exception of the pitching staff, the material for the team this year was better than it was last spring.

"I am looking forward to a very successful season, if we can get one or more good pitchers to replace Folton, last year's mainstay," said Coach Slattery. "In previous years, the early season records have usually been disappointing. This has been because the early games have been played during the spring recess, with southern teams, which have had a long time to train for the opening of the season, while the University nine has been handicapped by the late spring. We hope to remedy this by going south to a training camp this year, but in any event we shall get going by the middle of the season, and we ought to be able to keep Yale from winning any of the games.

"Of course, everything depends on being able to get one or more pitchers to work with Goode. With last year's substitutes back, and with several men coming up from the 1923 team, this ought not to be a very serious problem. Owen, who pitched for the Freshmen last year, and defeated Yale, will not be used as a pitcher unless it is absolutely necessary. In my opinion, he will be more valuable to us playing every day in some other position, than he would be as a pitcher, working only on alternate days.

"With the exception of Jones, first baseman, all of last year's infield is back, and will start the season. The utility infield material looks much stronger than last year.

"With Blair behind the bat again, and Keegan of the 1923 team as his substitute, the catcher position will be well taken care of.

"Hallock and Janin will form the veteran nucleus of the outfield, Hallowell being the only regular who did not return to College this year. With both Captain Thayer and J. S. Clark of the 1923 team out for the team, the prospects for the outfield are excellent.

"I was handicapped at the beginning last year because I did not know anything about the men, since it was my first season as coach. This year there will be no such difficulty, and we will be able to get down to work right at the beginning of the season.