HIGHER TUITION?

The tuition fees of the large Eastern universities of America indicate that President Lowells prophecy concerning an increase here will soon be fulfilled. If the Yale Corporation feels that $300 is a fair share for the student to pay annually for the expenses of his education, and if Princeton is considering an increase from $250 to $300, there is no reason why Harvard College should bear so great a burden of the cost of educating its students as it now does. When explaining the need of the University for a $15,000,000 endowment, Mr. John Richardson said the Committee had estimated that the cost of educating one man at the College for one year was over $400. It seems just that the student's share of this expense be a larger proportion than it is at present.

The most convincing argument against the increase is that will become more difficult for a student to work his way through college; but, with the lessened buying power of the dollar in every field, it is as easy to earn $300 now as $200 four years ago. The comprehensive figures recently published by the Alumni Bulletin indicate conclusively that any man who has the right mettle and who wants to work his way through Harvard will be able to do so regardless of the increase.

There seems to be little doubt that under the present financial exigencies, the Governing Boards of the University will see fit to adopt the President's recommendation for an increase.