The Chapel's Greater Service

Communication

To the Editors of the CRIMSON

The Appleton Chapel stands very prominently in the Yard, a daily reminder of what the fathers of our great University stood for and of the greatest force for good which exists in the world today. Each Sunday its doors are opened to those who wish to worship there, and each morning a smaller and, perhaps, more devout group gathers to hear the lesson of the day. This is a great service.

But with some men the worship of God is not a thing of the number of Chapel services attended. Some withdraw to the stillness of the Chapel to work out their individual problems and to worship God not by stereotyped forms, but in their own hearts. Here the Chapel loses its greatest chance for service.

For fifteen years, at least, and I know not how much longer the Chapel doors have been open only during the hours of service, or when someone is using the organ. In the latter instance, one may or may not get in, and one does not always feel welcome. Thus, our Chapel is idle, in so far as its prime object is concerned, twenty-three hours, or more, out of each twenty-four. This condition should not exist.

The income from the Chapel is no money, but spiritual service to Harvard students. To render maximum service, the Chapel should be open during the entire school day. Let us enable the Chapel to render the maximum service. DONALD VINTON BENNETT VNC.