THE WORCESTER FIRE

That the disastrous Worcester fire yesterday was incendiary in origin is the suspicion of many officials who are investigating the stricken area. If evidence is forthcoming to prove that such is the case, a serious problem is at once presented. So widespread is the district affected that whether the responsibility lies in a deliberate plot on the part of "reds," or of a gang of fanatical firebugs, the matter calls for the fullest examination.

The fact that a score of blazes developed simultaneously shows it is unlikely the fire was accidental. So monstrous a plot could not logically have been concocted by men crazed with the "firebug" mania, and as Worcester is well-known for its radical element, the finger of guilt seems to point at Bolshevism. Coupled with previous and similar losses, and recent strikes in the manufacturing plants on the same scene, the case against the "reds" gathers weight. Until definite proof is offered, of course, it were folly to assume on the spur of the instant that any special group is at fault, but if investigation demonstrates that revolutionary propaganda is still at work to such a degree as to cause a $2,000,000 blaze, the occasion would be ripe for a renewed and thorough-going attempt to suppress this increasing danger. For in spite of governmental efforts, plots and bomb outrages have not diminished since the war; yesterday's fire should be only one more argument against the extreme methods which the radicals appear to have adopted to attain their desires.