WAR DEPT. PLEASED BY ARTILLERY UNIT

SUMMER CAMP STARTS IN JUNE

Major W. C. Potter, F. A., inspected the Artillery R. O. T. C. Unit yesterday, spending the day discussing the military situation at the University with Major Geetz, and visiting the classes of the Military Science Department. Major Potter, who is in the Chief of Field Artillery's office, is on a tour of inspection of college artillery units, including those at the University, Yale, Princeton, and Cornell. When interviewed by a CRIMSON reporter, he spoke as follows:--"The permanency which the R. O. T. C. has gained throughout the country, is evident not only in the colleges and schools in which units have been established; but also in the attitude of the general public and the members of Congress toward it. Contests has from the beginning given this branch of Military Training splendid backing, both by appropriations and by moral support, and it seems likely that the appropriations asked for at present will be granted.

Harvard R. O. T. C. Unique

"The situation at Harvard is different from that at the great majority of colleges which have R. O. T. C. Units. In fact there are only five other Field Artillery R. O. T. C. Units in which the training is entirely elective. Here, the courses have been developed upon a scholastic basis that makes them fully the equal of other courses in the University, and, as is quite right, the College authorities have granted full academic credit to the student taking the Military Science work. The work here at the University is progressing very well, and compares favorably with that at Yale and Princeton. The unit needs more students, however, and I am confident that, new that the Artillery R. O. T. C. is established on a strong basis, next year's Freshman class will enroll in large numbers. The War Department is highly satisfied with the condition of the work at present."

Summer Camp at Camp Knox

When asked about the camps to be held during the summer, Major Potter said, "The summer training for students of Field Artillery Units from all parts of the country will be held at Camp Knox, Kentucky, and will begin sometime in the middle of June. The camp will last six weeks, and in every way will be similar to that held last year. About a thousand students are expected to attend, who will be organized into a regiment. The same recreational facilities that were open to the students last summer, will again be available."

Major Potter will leave Cambridge today to complete his inspection tour.