EXTRAVAGANT INAUGURALS

Somebody seems to be always taking the joy out of life for those ardent Republicans, in Congress and elsewhere, who have set their hearts on making the inaugural ceremonies a splendid celebration of the Republican victory. Senator Harding, Senator Borah and finally Congress have effectively discouraged the idea of having an elaborate ceremony on March 4.

The only justifications for making that day one of extravagant pageantry seems to be that it affords the people an opportunity to fittingly celebrate the event which they have brought about--this argument, as old as the Republic, is advanced today. But reckon the railroad fare from any place further away than New York to Washington and the hotel rates in Washington and you can get a good idea of how great a part the people of the United States are going to take in the ceremony. The ceremony for them will consist principally of paying the expenses.

More important still, the new administration, which has pledged itself to be free from Democratic extravagance can ill afford to open its four years with a costly splurge. The times call for economy and thrift; Congress has set an effective example to those who are still reeling from the intoxication of war-Iino prosperity in limiting as it has the appropriations for the inaugural ceremonies.