PIERIAN SODALITY TO INCREASE MEMBERSHIP

Will Raise Size of Orchestra to Seventy-Eight Men--Offers Chance to New Candidates--Trials to be Held on Monday and Tuesday

The Pierian Sodality Orchestra will hold trials for members of the University who play musical instruments on Monday and Tuesday of next week at the Music Building. Trials will be conducted under the direction of Professor W. R. Spaulding '87, and several other members of the Music Department whose names have not been announced.

It was recently decided to increase the size of the Pierian Sodality Orchestra. Last year its membership was fifty. This year it will be increased to full symphonic strength of seventy-eight men. To meet this increase, applicants for all branches of the orchestra will be accepted. The brass and wood wind section will take the largest percentage of recruits. Oboes and bassoons particularly are in demand. There are three vacancies for drummers who can read orchestral arrangements.

May Apply at Music Building

Candidates for trials Monday and Tuesday are requested by managers of the Pierian Sodality to apply at 54 Dunster Street or at the new offices at the rear of the Music Building. These offices were opened yesterday.

Freshmen who play orchestral instruments, and particularly those who play instruments in the brass and wood wind section, are urged to apply for trials next week. Orchestra practices have been so arranged that they will not conflict with College work.

Engagements scheduled for this season by the management were announced yesterday as follows: November 25, concert dance at the Kimball Hotel in Springfield; November 27, a concert at the Copley Theatre in Boston; January 19 and March 9, concerts at Symphony Hall in Boston.

A conductor for the Pierian Sodality Orchestra will be selected by members of the Music Department early next week.