NEW DETERMINATION BORN OF CLOSE CALL WITH GEORGIA TEAM

UNIVERSITY OFFENSE CONSIDERED WEAKEST POINT

With two exceptions Coach Fisher lined up the same team which started against Georgia Saturday for a stiff signal drill and dummy scrimmage yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field. Fitts, who had an afternoon class, and Grew, who is out with a slight cold, were the only regulars who did not appear in the Stadium. The former's place at left end was taken by Crocker, while the latter's guard position was filled by Hubbard.

The general feeling at Soldiers Field is optimistic in spite of Saturday's disappointing exhibition. The Crimson coaches believe that the Georgia contest has put the entire University squad in just that frame of mind that is usually conducive to the best results, and that a great improvement will take place this week. In other words the players themselves are determined that beginning with next Saturday's game with Penn State they will cut loose with a brand of football which will hush their critics for the rest of the season.

Although it is true that the University's record to date is decidedly less impressive than that of the usual Fisher machine at this stage of the season, it is also a fact that the games this fall have been harder than those of the average early-season schedule of any college in the country, A doubleheader as an opener, Holy Cross the next week, then Indiana, Georgia, Penn State, and Centre in succession--this is a formidable array and one which would tax the resources of any eleven in college ranks today.

What Coach Fisher and his assistants intend to do this week in preparation for the powerful Penn Staters, whose line is said to average 200 pounds, is to develop both individual work and team play to such an extent that the Crimson eleven will be able to uncover a really sustained attack against Hugo Bezdek's team. It is on the offense that the University players have been consistently below par this fall. The punting and drop-kicking has been of the best, the defence has been rugged and strong, but the attack, both in straight rushing and forward-passing has been weak.

There is plenty of power in Coach Fisher's first-string backfield and he has at his disposal excellent substitute material. The one big trouble has been the inability of the eleven to push the ball over when within comparatively easy scoring distance. In every contest to date the Crimson has swept down the field in beautiful form only to be kept at the last minute from making a touchdown on account of a fumble, a penalty, or a pure let-down in the offensive strength. It is this fault that the Crimson coaching staff and players will do all in their power to nullify in the next few days by stiff scrimmages with Coach Knox's men, individual work, and an attempt to weld the team into a real unified force.