YALE NIPS ARMY RALLY IN BUD AND WINS 14-7 VICTORY

French, Injured West Point Back, Starts Passing Attack in Final Period--Run by Aldrich Nets 70 Yards

Saturday afternoon in the first game which has been played between Yale and West Point since 1913 Yale won by the score of 14-7. The Blue outplayed their opponents decisively, especially in rushing and in punting. The first three periods were all Yale's. But with the advent of French, the Army's star back, who limped onto the field in the final period to take the place of Smythe, the aspect of the game changed. If the first three quarters were all Blue, in the last, the advantage was decidedly the Army's. Without French the Cadet backfield was mediocre, with him it became a thing of unlimited power.

The score stood 14-0 in favor of Yale at the beginning of the last period, and the teams were in midfield. At this point the Army started a succession of daring forward passes skilfully thrown by French and carried the ball down the field and over the goal line in six plays. Immediately afterward another series of forwards by the same player brought the Army to Yale's 18-yard line, only to lose the ball when a final pass fell to the ground beyond the goal line. Without French, however, the Army team lacked drive.

Three Yale Backs Stand Out

For Yale Jordan, Aldrich, and O'Hearn stood out most prominently, the first named being the star of the Blue offensive play. It was Aldrich who took the heart out of the Cadets in the final period by his interception of a forward pass on Yale's 18-yard line and his 70-yard run down the field. He was tackled before he himself could cross the goal-line, but a few moments later O'Hearn was able to push the ball over. In this, his first important game for the Blue, the latter demonstrated surprising ability. In him and Aldrich Coach Jones has two "triple threat" men of the first rank.