AWARD WINGATE CUP AND WENDELL BAT

Owen a Star in Three Major Sports Captains Hockey Team -- Conlon Leader of Baseball Nine

George Owen Jr. '23, of Newton, first baseman on last spring's University baseball team has been awarded the Dane P. J. Wingate Cup by the baseball advisory committee, for showing the best all round ability on the diamond last season. Arthur Joseph Conlon '22, of Winchester, won the Barrett Wendell Jr. trophy bat for showing the greatest strength on the offence. These trophies are held for one year, and both awards are subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee.

Owen spent his first season on the University team last spring, and was also a member of the University football and hockey teams, the latter of which he will captain this year. He prepared at Newton High School.

Conlon, captain of this year's baseball team, has been a member of the University team for the last two seasons, winning the Wingate cup a year ago. Although tied with Owen in number of hits, he scored more runs and had a slightly higher batting average.

The official records of the men were as follows: Batting   A.B.  R.  H.  Av. Conlon,  87  26  30  .345 Owen,  92  20  30  .325 Fielding   P.O.  A.  E.  Av. Owen,  239  12  5  .980 Conlon,  70  60  12  .915