EATING CLUBS AT THE UNION

This week the Union is reviving an old tradition--the small eating club. To many students whose courses or outside work occupy most of their time, meal hours are the only opportunity for social relationships with their fellow-students. Meals in the regular dining room of the Union, as elsewhere, are apt to be hurried and confused, with little comfort for extended conversation. Realizing this, and seeking to create the most comfortable as well as most congenial conditions, the management has set aside a new room solely for groups of four or more, who eat together regularly at the same table. Only one group will be served at each table each meal, and as the number will be limited, there will be no sense of haste or crowding to interfere with sociability.

An "old grad" decisions that memories of an eating club similar to those being organized at the Union are his pleasantest recollections from college days. A group of ten, from all classes in the College and from various graduate schools, met for each meal, and stayed at the table often for an hour or more afterward, discussing any topic that happened to arise. Their group was as diverse as possible, including a football letter-man, a poet, prospective doctors and lawyers, a Crimson editor, and an embryo philosopher. The friendships of this group, he says, have lasted more strongly than any others made in college.

Such a group might easily be gathered together today. Non-club men will welcome the opportunity to eat where one can truly talk; while members of private clubs who might wish occasionally to take their meals with men outside of their circle may find a use for the new dining room.