A CALL FOR COURTS

The communication printed below voices the opinion of virtually every tennis player in the University. One and all are disgusted with the long waits necessary at Jarvis Field; furthermore the general felling is that any system of reservations, such as was tried last spring, is hopelessly inadequate. Only by building more courts can the congestion on the present ones be done away with.

Devising ways and means for spending the money of the H. A. A. has long been a popular indoor sport at Harvard. But once in a while we are treated to a really sensible suggestion. The construction of courts on Soldiers Field, as proposed, would entail a minimum of grading and filling, thus insuring a low initial cost. Once built, these courts will undoubtedly provide an excellent income as do those in Jarvis Field at present. The certainly that it will be sound investment thus removes what is one of the chronic objection to the schemes of amateur reformers. In addition, courts on Soldiers Field would have the very considerable advantage that they are not, as are the Jarvis courts, within a thousand feet of any church. This fact will bring hope to the Hundreds of men who would take advantage of the recent law legalizing Sunday sports, if opportunity were offered.

The Athletic Association is expecting the football season to be a great success financially. How better can they spend the expected surplus than on a most popular sport, which at the same time is a paying proposition?