SECONDS TO CELEBRATE END OF SEASON TOMORROW

Squad Banquet at Young's Hotel Tomorrow Evening--Team Has Furnished Five Men for University Squad--Handicapped in Games

At a dinner tomorrow night at Young's Hotel the University second football squad will celebrate the ending of its season, So far as having its men taken up to First Team goes it has had one of the best years a scrub team has ever had, Five men, including two captains, were taken up to Coach Fisher's squad. They were F. H. Havey '22 J. G. Cronin '22, J. M. Hartley '23, C. F. Peters '22, and K. N. Hill '24. Of these, Hovey and Peters were successively captains. The third captain of the year was J. H. Dempsey '23.

The team, which has had an average squad of 60 men, has not been so successful in its games, probably because it has given so many of its best men to Coach Fisher. Of its four games it has won one, lost two, and tied one.

In the first game, with Exeter, the Scrubs were up against an obviously stronger team. They were outweighed and outplayed, and fought stubbornly on the defensive most of the game, being fortunate to hold their opponents to a 12-0 score.

Lost to Sailors by Touchdown

The second game, that with the Boston Submarine Base Team, was lost by the margin of one touchdown. The contest was one of the most stubbornly fought of the year, and the issue was in doubt until the last moment. In the third period the Sailors, after a pounding march down the field, made their lone score. But the Seconds fought every inch against a heavier and more powerful team.

The game with the Freshmen, which followed on October 28, the Scrubs won 6-0. The only score came early in the game when E. D. Hamilton '23 recovered a blocked punt on his opponents' '20 yard line and dashed across for a touchdown.

The final game, with the Brown Scrubs, resulted in a 14-14 tie. It was distinguished by some of the best open football that the team had played. Both the Crimson touchdowns resulting immediately from forward passes.

Unsuccessful as the season was as a whole the Seconds served well their chief purpose of providing material and opposition for the First Team. Besides, learning from 20 to 25 plays each week does not tend to bring perfection to a system of play. The Seconds, during the season, kept a week ahead of the First Team, learning the plays of the University's next opponent. But in view of the result which their labors had no small part in bringing about, their season may well be considered a success.