WEALTH OF MATERIAL AVAILABLE FOR TRACK

Indoor Season, Starting in January, Will Bring Out Large Number of Veterans as Well as Promising Numeral Men--Seven "H" Men to Report

When winter track practice starts in January, the squad will contain a large number of men who figured prominently in University meets last year, besides many numeral men from the 1924 Freshman team. Of the former, seven have won their track "H", and are: Captain J. F. Brown Jr. '22, Richard Chute '22, R. W. Fitts '23, C. H. Hauers '23, H. M. Mahon '22, Bayard Wharton '22, and R. S. Whitney Jr. '22. Chute is the only man who won his letter two years ago; in 1919 he placed against Yale in the quarter mile.

Although no letter men will be represented in the sprints this year, there are a number of candidates for this event with very strong possibilities, among whom are Vinton Chapin '23, C. B. S. Evans '22, Percy Jenkins '24, and J. E. Merrill '24, the last two figuring prominently with the yearlings last winter. J. D. Chase '22 and C. H. Wansker '23 are also veteran sprinters of much promise.

Possibilities in Longer Runs

All the dash event men will probably come out for the 300-yard run, and in addition Chute, J. E. Kennedy '23, T. W. Norris '24, and Wharton will help furnish this event with a wealth of material. E. T. Doherty ocC. and J. A. McCarthy will be the strongest contenders in the 600-yard run, and will be assisted by Kennedy, Campbell Newhall '24, and J. W. Quinn '23. In the 1000-yard and mile events, the most experienced runners will be Mahon, a letter man, and J. W. Burke '23, who won his "H" this fall by placing second in the Yale cross-country meet. Corliss Lamont '24, McCarthy, Newhall, and H. L. Pratt Jr. '23 will also be available for this event.

Short distance relay teams will be made up of sprinters and 300-yard dash men, while long distance teams will be composed of men in the 1000-yard and mile runs.

With three letter men, Fitts, Hauers, and Whitney, in the running, prospects for the hurdles are very encouraging. In addition to these men, J. P. Monks '24, W. J. Reycroft '24, and R. F. Thayer '23 are hurdlers of considerable merit. In the high-jump Fitts will be assisted by R. D. Gerould '24 and Malcolm Morse '24, who won their numerals last year and by Richmond Page '24, while C. B. S. Evans '22, C. J. Hamlin '23, Jenkins, Merrill, and Wansker will be candidates for the broad-jump.

Besides Captain Brown and H. W. Clark '23 in the shut-put, strong material will be found in F. K. Kernan Jr. '24, G. A. Saxton '22, Brooks Stevens '24 and C. A. Tierney '22. Captain Brown will be assisted in the hammer-throw by S. B. Andrew '23, H. R. Bright '24, C. C. Carpenter '24, Kernan, and Benoni Lockwood Jr. '22.

H. R. Davis '23 and D. D. Reidy Jr. '23 will be the best contenders in the pole-vault.