CALL CREW MEN TOMORROW

EXPECT RIVER ICE TO MELT SOON

The University and class crew candidates will be called out Wednesday when Coach Haines and Captain McCagg will speak to the men in Newell boat-house, describing the plans for the season.

During the past winter all the equipment has been carefully gone over and the oars and shells varnished and renumbered. The coaching boats also have been fixed up and a new Buffalo engine installed in the "White Pup," while the engine from it has been put in the "Brown Pup," whose motor was rather unsatisfactory. In the "Varsity Room" upstairs in Newell the furniture has been reupholstered and the room made more comfortable, while at Weld a wholly new float has been built.

One hundred and twelve oarsmen and seven coxswains attended the meeting of the Freshman crew candidates in Smith Halls Common Room yesterday afternoon. They were addressed first by Captain McCagg, who emphasized the importance of getting down to business right away. Next, Coach Bill Haines spoke reiterating Captain McCagg's statements and then saying that the Freshmen were lucky in having two coaches like Dr. Howe and Bert Haines.

Good Watermanship Needed

Bert Haines came next, laying stress on the need of good watermanship in general and recommending practice in wherries and singles. He also offered to go tubbing individually with the men. Then he said that the prospects were good so far and urged the men to cooperate in every way to make the season a success.

The need for both sportsmanship and hard work were brought out by Dr. Howe, who spoke at some length. He said work on crew, however, must not interfere with work on studies, for a man on probation, no matter how good he is, is useless to the crew. In outlining the plans for the spring he said that the crews would be picked early and kept together as much as possible, but that this fact should not discourage anyone, because some of the men on the upper crews were almost sure to have to drop out on account of strains, sickness, or accident. In closing he invited every man to come and see him personally some time during the spring, so that he could get an estimate of the personality of each of the candidates.

With only three inches of ice on the river it is hoped that it will be clear early enough so that neither the University nor Freshman crews will have to go to Lynn as they did last year. If the river does clear early it will be especially helpful to the lower Freshman crews who need all the practice in shells that they can get.