UNIVERSITY WINS ONLY TWO PLACES IN B. A. A. GAMES

CRIMSON RELAY TEAMS LAG BEHIND YALE AND M. I. T.

R. W. Harwood '20 and R. S. Whitney '22 were the only University entrants to place in the B. A. A. games Saturday evening. Harwood was tied for first with T. P. Gardner of Yale in the pole-vault at the height of 12 feet, while Whitney, after winning his heat in the 50-yard high hurdles, got third place in the finals. All three relay teams lost by wide margins. E. O. Gourdin '21, running in the 50-yard dash, placed second in his heat, but failed to qualify in the semi-finals.

The pole-vault was perhaps the most spectacular event of the evening. A special board runway was constructed, with a dirt catch for the pole, and a dirt landing pit. In view of the difficulties attendant on staging this event indoors, the hazy atmosphere and the lack of a proper background against which to view the bar, topping the 12-foot mark reached by Harwood and Gardner was a very creditable performance. There was little to choose between the style of the two men as they cleared the bar. On the toss to settle the tie, Gardner won and was awarded first place.

Whitney romped away with his heat in the hurdles, leading the nearest man by more than two yards. Earl Thompson of Dartmouth, Olympic champion, made the best time in the trial heats of 6 3-5 seconds, and duplicated this in the final heat, which he won easily, leading Frank Loomis of the Chicago Athletic Association, and Whitney, who were running neck and neck for second place, by about three yards. Whitney was a few inches behind Loomis at the finish, and got third place.

Yale Wins Relay Easily

Bayard Wharton '22, running first man in the two-mile relay race against Yale, had the pole, but got off to a bad start, and Hilles led around the first corner, Wharton stayed up until the last lap, when Hilles drew away and handed over a ten-yard lead to Coxe, the second Yale man. Yale continued to increase her lead, so that Campbell, running anchor, started off with a lead of half a lap over Captain D. F. O'Connell '21. O'Connell started after Campbell and succeeded in decreasing his lead considerably, but Campbell opened up in the last lap and finished a good three-quarters of a lap ahead. In the one-mile relay against M. I. T., Richard Chute '22, the Crimson lead-off man, passed on a ten-yard lead to A. H. Gordon '23, but both Gordon and J. W. Qulnn '23 kept losing ground, until E. O. Gourdin '21 started the last turn hopelessly in the rear. Gourdin held his own against Chittlck, but was not running at his best, saving his strength for the 50-yard dash. Yale had it all her own way in the Freshman relay, and won easily by more than half a lap.

Perhaps the best race of the evening was the three-mile grind for the Williams Cup, which Gordon Nightingale, formerly of New Hampshire State, running in top form, won in a walkaway in the last two turns; while the most thrilling team-race was that between Exeter and Andover, which Exeter finally won. The lead kept see-sawing back and forth between the two teams, and at no time were the two men more than a few yards apart.