URGES NECESSITY OF STRONG AIR SERVICE

Pres. Driggs of American Flying Club Points Out Military and Commercial Possibilities of Airplane--Shows Several Interesting Pictures

Introduced by Dean H. J. Hughes '94 as one of the most prominent aviators of the country. Laurence Driggs spoke last night at the Union on recent developments in aviation and exhibited slides and moving pictures of unusual interest.

"We are all fellow beneficiaries of a new gift to mankind," said Mr. Driggs, "of a gift which has remarkable possibilities in war and in peace. The aeroplane knowns no boundaries, comes silently and swiftly, and carries with it death-dealing bombs and gases."

He went on to show that aviation was poorly developed in this country, partly because of the lack of proper navigation and licensing laws. "You can travel from London to Paris in two hours for $18" he declared showing the commercial possibilities of the aeroplane.

Of was flying he said that the American flyer, especially the young college man had "the combination of recklessness and caution so necessary in a battle of aeroplanes."

Mr. Driggs also showed pictures of new and old aeroplanes, among them some of the Verville scout which last year travelled 180 miles per hour and of the plan in which Major Schroeder established the world's altitude record. Among various other pictures were some illustrating the deadly use of shells in aeroplane attacks on battleship, and others showing views of the great races of the past few years.