FAVORS ROWING CARNIVAL

James Rice, Crew Coach at Columbia, Suggests That All Colleges Compete For National Championship

James Rice, head coach of the Columbia University crew, in an article in the Columbia Spectator, strongly advocates a collegiate rowing carnival participated in by every rowing college in the country for the purpose of deciding a national championship.

"I would suggest that there be held annually what I would call the American Regatta," declares Coach Rice, "which would include a whole week of rowing, all over one course a mile and a half in length. Every rowing college in the country could enter and, racing in heats, settle definitely each year the championship which so far has always been mythical."

"In giving his reasons for such a carnival, the Blue and White coach said that it was almost impossible to rate college crews at the end of the season because many claimants to the laurels have not raced against other eights which have an equal claim. Besides the college crews Coach Rice also suggests that the various rowing combinations of boat clubs might also compete for their championships, too.

"In order to eliminate the expense of shipping the university shells from the Western colleges," says Coach Rice, "a standardized shell could be built, of which the Regatta Association would own five or six. These could be loaned to the various crews by lot with the rigging adjusted to suit the eight's own boat. In size and weight the shells would be identical."

A suitable course for such a regatta, Coach Rice believes, would be at Petham Bay, New York, where a section is being dammed up.