PUTTING THE QUESTION

The return of examination books written for the April "hours" brings into renewed prominence that eternal bug-a-boo of the college student,--the ambiguous examination question. Confronted by the testimony of successful and flunking students alike, an impartial observer must conclude that ability to "guess what the instructor is after" plays all too great a part in the determination of one's mark. Instructors are led through long familiarity with their courses to refer to subjects in terms which even the most faithful student may not fully understand. Some even intentionally make questions indefinite with the avowed purpose of giving the student something to think about. Intuition is undoubtedly a valuable asset in the world at large; but the average undergraduate revolts at the idea that it can have any connection with academic standing.

Inasmuch as the student is forced to bear the burden of the answer, it seems only fair that the examiner should assume responsibility for stating his questions clearly and completely. Accordingly, many instructors are accustomed to stipulate the time to be allotted to each part of the examination paper, and personally explain exactly what is expected for each item. But this policy has not been pursued far enough. Week in and week out one hears the oft-repeated complaint that the instructor has expected bread when he but asked for a stone. The student can hardly answer the question before he understands its meaning.