MAINE CHAMPIONS PLAY UNIVERSITY NINE AT 3 TODAY

New Announcement Gives Admittance to Season Ticket Holders But Makes Extra Charge for Others

This afternoon at 3 P. M. on Soldiers Field, the University team will be given worthy opposition by the veteran nine of Bates College. Last year Bates was the intercollegiate champion of Maine, and this year, with veteran outfielders and pitchers, but with a new infield, the Bates team is considered even faster than the championship team of a year ago. Other than this, little is known of the respective abilities of the two teams, but since the University has several weeks more practice than Bates, and since it has already shown by defeating Northeastern College 16-4 that it is a machine of some power and scoring ability, the Crimson team is favored to win.

Contrary to previous announcements, it has been found necessary to charge fifty cents admission to the pre-vacation games, but H. A. A. and season ticket holders may use their books for admission.

In the line-up for this afternoon, either D. F. Thayer '23, captain of last year's Freshman team, J. S. Clark '23, who held down a regular field position on the 1923 team, or G. C. Lee '21 will play the left field position. If Hallock's injured finger is sufficiently healed, he will assume his regular position at center field, but if not, F. W. Crocker '22, who has been doing the best hitting on the team thus far, will probably take his place. H. C. Janin '22, whose timely hitting won the series with Yale last year, is Coach Slattery's first choice for right field. Since the regular third baseman, E. C. Lincoln '22, is still unable to play on account of a sprained ankle. C. C. Buell '23 will be called upon to fill his position today. George Owen '23, last year's Freshman pitcher, has become a fixture at first base, replacing last year's first-sacker. E. L. Bigelow '21, who is being trained to supply the team with a reliable left-handed pitcher. E. F. Goode '22 will start in the pitcher's box; Goode is the only "H" pitcher on the squad and his slow reliable ball can usually be counted upon to pull the team out of a tight place. The other pitcher on whom Coach Slattery is depending is H. S. Russell '22, the regular pitcher on the second team last year, who has demonstrated a fast curve along with a reasonable amount of control; he and Goode will probably prove to be the main pitching reliances during the season. The rest of the line-up is made up entirely of experienced players, and with them as a skeleton for the moulding of the rest of the team. Coach Slattery expects to develop a hard-hitting accurately-throwing and smoothly-working team.