KEY MEN LOSE OPENING GAME OF SEASON TO SECOND FRESHMEN

Phi Beta Kappa Players Show Much Skill on Diamond but Lose to Yearling Scrubs by 7-4 Score

Although starting their season by a 7-4 defeat at the hands of Coach Wilson's experienced second Freshman nine, the University chapter of Phi Beta Kappa showed a brand of ball which will cause much worry to the New Haven scholars. Leading the yearling nine 3-1 for four innings, a combination of unfortunate circumstances, including a change of umpires and pitchers, gave the Freshmen a four run advantage which the key men were unable to overcome. Inasmuch as it was the initial workout, Captain Lazo did not dare leave any of his slab-men in the box for more than two innings, as any glass arms on the pitching staff would prove disastrous on May 30, when the high stand men meet the Eli scholars. This forced change in pitchers put the key at a big disadvantage.

In W. G. Brocker '22 and R. A. Aubin '21 the brethren have a pair of boxmen who can be depended upon for brilliant work. To support these men behind the bat are two first rate back stops in W. A. Duerr ocC, and John Bridge '22, either of whom are reliable. Bridge's first throw caught two men stealing second in yesterday's game. More candidates are needed for the nine, however, as B. S. Cogan '23, who held down the hot corner, has been declared ineligible, in spite of his receiving one B last year.