TO THE RESCUE

A sudden plunge from the obscurity which usually surrounds our Vice-Presidents has put Mr. Coolidge in the lime-light. He has entered upon the problem of discovering whether or not the "Reds are stalking our college women," and though his observations are made chiefly for the women-folk, the editor of the Delineator suggests that the men may be interested too. So we are. For the University is specifically mentioned as having a chapter of the Intercollegiate Socialist Society along with Wellesley, Simons and Radcliffe to mention a few of . At the Convention "a Harvard man took first prize for his scholarly speech on conscription of health--this in italics. Of course we are interested.

The first article of the series presents facts, not criticism, explains Mr. Coolidge. Most of them are interesting, and a few of them pleasantly alarming. After promising all the display we are inclined to agree with the author that "the heart of the colleges is round;" that when we are told, for example, that Radcliffe representatives at an intercollegiate debate supported the affirmative in the question: "Resolved: that the recognition of labor unions by employers is essential to successful collective bargaining", all may not be rotten at the core. For, after all, somebody had to support the affirmative, and perhaps, as often happens in these contests there was a negative team at Radcliffe that looked at the question differently.

On the whole the so-called facts seem hardly worth all the excitement they have created. Perhaps it is because a Vice-President is the man to expose what may turn out to be a menace some more articles are to come we must remember-that explains the wide comment; Vice-Presidents are thought to be so harmless. This is not Mr. Coolidge's way, however: he is a man of ability, and if the case can be proved against the stalking Reds, he will do it. We respect his determination to hasten to the rescue of our fair neighbors, his chivalrous intention to spread his cloak over the dirty puddle of Socialism; we respect him whether the puddle is there or not.