UNIVERSITY PRESS TO PRINT TRANSLATIONS

Ancient and Modern Works, Translated Into English by Harvard Men, Form Important Part of the Coming Publications

The University Press announces that it will have several new books on sale in a very short time. Some of the most important of these are translations by Harvard men, of works, ancient and modern, by foreign masters. Others are original works by Harvard men, ranging throughout the field of history, science and religion.

There of these forthcoming works as volumes 28, 29 and 30 of the Harvard Oriental Series, edited by C. R. Lanman, professor of Sanskrit in the University, and Correspondent de I'Acedmie des Inscription et Belles-Lettres de I'Institutde France. The new volumes are called "Buddhist Legends", and are translations by Dr. E. W. Burlingame of a story-book written in the sacred language of Buddhism, the Pall, in Ceylon, 450 A. D. They give a vivid picture of ancient monastic life in India; a direct counterpart of the Legends of the Christian Saints.

Edited Entirely in This Country

In undertaking the stupendous task of editing this series, Professor Lanman is contributing a most unique and important addition to American literature. Several volumes have been help up in different parts of Europe since the beginning of the war, but these three are done entirely in this country and will be ready in a few weeks.

A work of especial interest at this time is a translation of Dante's "Paradiso" by Courtney Langdon, professor of romance languages at Brown University. This is the final volume in a series of translation of Dante's works by Professor Langdon, the others being "Inferno" and "Purgatorio". The "Paradiso" is especially opportune at this time, coming as it does in the year of the 600th anniversary of Dante's death. In the celebration in Italy on the occasion this summer, Professor Langdon will be one of America's delegates, and the "Paradise" will be the University's contribution.

The sixth volume of "Harvard Studies in Comparative Literature: is "Angevin Britain and Scandinvia", by H. G. Leach '06, secretary of the American Scandinavian Foundation. This volume discusses the literature of these countries under the hoads of History, Romance, and Saga.

Translations From the Greek

"A Hundred Voices" is a volume of translations from Greek by A. E. Phoutrides '11. The author of the Greek is Kostes Palamas, the foremost literary man in modern Greece, and a leading contemporary poet. He is secretary of the University at Athens, and is known as one of the most prominent liberals in Europe. Mr. Phoutrides was an instructor in the University 1916-17. He was appointed professor of the Classics at Athens two years ago, but stayed in this country on a mission from the Greek Government. He was a firm adherent of of the Venizelos ministry and is an intimate friend of Premier Venizelos, so that his mission terminated with that government. Next year he will continue his connection with the University as an instructor in the Classics.